Rainstorm in a Jar
When you can’t play outside because it’s raining, make your own rainstorm in a jar!
Rainy weather giving you the blues? Why don’t you try controlling a rainstorm—even the color of the rain—with this fun experiment!
What you’ll need:
- One clear container per person (you can use glass measuring cups, mason jars, drinking cups, or small bowls)
- Food coloring
- A dropper (an eyedropper, or even turkey baster, will work)
- Old-fashioned shaving cream (white and foamy)
- Fill your clear container two-thirds full of water.
- Squirt a fluffy layer of shaving cream on top.
- Mix some of the blue food coloring (or any color you want!) with water and add it with the dropper, a few drops at a time, to the top of the shaving cream.
- Watch your colored rain fall from the shaving cream clouds into the water!
- For faster rain, add drops of food coloring not mixed with water.